Dr James N. Anderson
Note: My non-work-related web pages have moved here.
- University of Edinburgh, B.Eng. (Hons, 1st Class, Electrical and Electronic Engineering), 1995
- University of Edinburgh, Ph.D. (Computer Simulation), 1999
- Trinity Theological Seminary, M.A. (Philosophy and Apologetics), 2002
- University of Edinburgh, Ph.D. (Philosophical Theology), 2005
I have been employed at CCIR since July 1995, where my work has focused on technology development and usability assessment in the following areas:
- telepresence shopping services
- virtual mannequins and garment modelling
- shared-space technology for virtual conferencing
- multimodal web-based financial services
- synthetic human-like agents in financial services
- synthetic human-like agents in spoken language learning
- C. Weir, J. Anderson, and M. Jack, 'On the Role of Metaphor and Language in Design of Third Party Payments in eBanking: Usability and Quality', International Journal of Human-Computer Studies 64:8 (2006), 770-784.
- S. Collin, M. Jack, and J. Anderson, 'A Comparison of the Effectiveness of Single and Multiple 3D Embodied Synthetic Agents in eBanking', Proceedings of International Conference on Intelligent Agents, Web Technologies and Internet Commerce, July 2004, 564-575.
- N. Ashraf, J. Anderson, C. Douther, I. McKay, M. Jack, and P. Platt, 'Longitudinal Study of Habituation and Participatory Design for Multi-User Shared Virtual Environments', International Journal of Virtual Reality 5:1 (2003).
- H. McBreen, J. Anderson, and M. Jack, 'Evaluating 3D Embodied Conversational Agents in Contrasting VRML Retail Applications', Proceedings of Workshop of Multi-Modal Communication and Context in Embodied Agents (5th International Conference on Autonomous Agents), 2001, 83-88.
- J. Anderson, N. Ashraf, C. Douther, and M. Jack, 'Presence and Usability in Shared Space Virtual Conferencing: A Participatory Design Study', CyberPsychology and Behavior 4:2 (2001), 287-305.
- J. Anderson, N. Ashraf, C. Douther, and M. Jack, 'A Participatory Design Study of User Requirements for a Shared Virtual Meeting Space', Proceedings of 3rd International Workshop on Presence (PRESENCE 2000), March 2000.
- J. Anderson, R. Vincent, and M. Jack, 'Usability Assessment of Collaborative Shared-Space Telepresence Shopping Services', Proceedings of 4th European Conference on Multimedia Applications, Services and Techniques (ECMAST'99), May 1999, 15-25.
- J. Anderson and M. Jack, 'FIGMENT: A Basis for Interactive Virtual Mannequin Services', Proceedings of 1998 IEEE Second Workshop on Multimedia Signal Processing, December 1998, 187-192.
- J. Anderson, 'Fast Physical Simulation of Virtual Clothing based on Multilevel Approximation Strategies' (Ph.D. thesis, University of Edinburgh), 1998.
- J. Anderson and M. Jack, 'A Virtual Mannequin Service Using the FIGMENT Scheme', International Journal of Virtual Reality 3:2 (1997), 1-11.
- J. Anderson and M. Jack, 'A Fast Collision Detection Technique for Modelling Virtual Clothing', Proceedings of Eurographics UK 1997 Conference, March 1997, 75-88.
- J. Anderson and M. Jack, 'Dressing the Virtual Teleshoppe User', Proceedings of 1st European Conference on Multimedia Applications, Services and Techniques (ECMAST'96), May 1996, 293-303.